The Lance

Problems With This Year’s Homecoming

Back to Article
Back to Article

Problems With This Year’s Homecoming

Lancers enjoy their time inside the homecoming dance while others are locked outside due to unfortunate illness.

Laura Galvis Diaz, Staff Writer

Homecoming is a great dance that a large portion of the students looks forward to throughout the year. Some of the organizers, including SGA advisor Mercedes Matson, gave their best effort so that everything went well. But what happens when during an event as important as the great homecoming errors or problems arise preventing students from having a memorable experience?

“It was around 500 people who bought the tickets for Homecoming,” Matson said.

That means that those same 500 students prepared to attend the event.

But this year, something very curious happened. What started as a week of the spirit, with its chili cook-off and it’s laughter and games, would become very black for certain students.

When a virus infected football players and some other students, an unfortunate health event, the response of the school, coming directly from the health department, was that those students who had contracted the virus were not allowed to enter the dance. This was a conscientious and very responsible decision.

But why did the administration wait until Homecoming night to stand at the entrance of the dance and tell the students this decision just as the students were ready to enter after investing time, money, and energy? That is, why couldn’t we receive an email letting us know of the new procedure? This idea just did not go through their heads? Did they see the disappointment of those who came to enjoy the night?

Another problem that came up at the door, was caused by errors in the list of students attending the dance. Some students who had purchased tickets did not appear on the list to students to admit.

Senior Jhenny Aroja was one of those unfortunate students. “When I was going into the dance, my name was not on the list. I have no idea why. After showing my ID, they let me in though,” Aroja said.

Is the fact of some organizers didn’t want to talk about the problems they had in the Homecoming, what does it mean? Why was to difficult talk about it? Why weren’t they available to talk about it? Maybe it was no one’s fault that students got sick. But why didn’t the administration explain the new change in procedure to all students in advance?
Fortunately, Aroja was happy about the dance, after being allowed in, and has no bad feelings against the school. But what about the students that were turned away for being sick?

“The money was returned to the students accordingly” are the words of Matson.

Of course, Lee’s organizers will return the ticket money, but who is going to refund the money those students spent on suits or transportation or the time and enjoyment they would have felt over being inside the homecoming dance? This is just one of the multiple questions that surround the Homecoming mess.