Discover the benefits of Lewis High School’s Library

Priscille Dando

Library staff Mimi Marquet, Lourdes Salas, and Lisa Koch pose in front of a paper cut-out of Rep. John Lewis during the John R. Lewis High School Rededication Ceremony, April 23, 2021.

Mark Ramirez Flores, Guest Writer

There’s a hidden gem in John Lewis High School. This gem doesn’t have real financial value, but instead it can enlighten you with vast knowledge. The place where you can find such information is a place that has been around for generations after generation, improving itself over time. 

The John R. Lewis High School library is a resource with books, databases and other resources, available for absolutely free–as long as you return the book. Take note that there is no limit to how many books you can borrow over your years in high school, not to mention the money you will save by not buying books.

The many varieties of books available to borrow is an accomplishment considering that these titles must appeal to a range of high school students, and the library does a fantastic job showcasing new books to students. This selection of books will make your life easier as you don’t have to go looking for books all over Fairfax County’s Public Library network.

The Lewis High School Library is run on the shoulders of librarians Mimi Marquet, Lisa Koch, and library assistant Lourdes Salas, who among their other instructional and library responsibilities, help students find books. “When I get to help students dive into research, find a book they love, and feel supported in their school work.  I am here to empower students as they discover and follow their curiosity,” Koch said. 

Running a library in 2021 can be a challenge as there are limits to what can safely be done during covid, hosting events. Besides there is a pandemic which prevents most students from entering the school–especially the library.

“Last year, before covid, we had over 200 students in the library every morning. Obviously, there have been big changes since covid, but we are looking forward to welcoming students back into our space as we did before,” Marquet said.

Another threat to the library is technology, which will eventually surpass print material. Eventually, we may no longer need to use books, but instead we will use our devices to read. If it ever reaches that point, would we still need libraries, in which books would be antique, possibly rare collectibles?

Ms. Koch and Ms. Marquet affirm that libraries are already adapting and welcome changes. “Libraries are more than books or spaces. During virtual learning, we have been collaborating with teachers and doing instruction, virtually meeting with students and supporting research and reading with digital collections. Supporting learners is something that will always be needed,” Koch said.

So what can we do to fix some of these problems? The library could use some volunteers to help out with organizing materials through tasks like shelving items or working on events and special projects.

Technology tends to distract us, yet the library is still an area dedicated to studying, as it’s difficult to study at home because technology is a huge disturbance. The library is a place you can enjoy a good book, concentrate on work or socialize with friends. In short, John Lewis High School’s library is a location where students can learn, and that’s why it is an invaluable resource.